The field of Education Sciences is exciting because it draws from so many different perspectives. Investigation in Education Sciences involves research using a wide range of methodological practices and research designs, and yielding a variety of data. For a full list of active labs and to learn more about specific areas of research available in the School of Education at UCI by visiting our Faculty Research page.
Campuswide Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP): Encourages and facilitates research and creative activities by undergraduates from all schools and academic disciplines at UCI.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP): Provides funding for UCI undergraduates from all disciplines who are conducting summer research projects or creative activities under the guidance of UCI faculty members
Research Opportunities in the School of Education
This project intends to understand how novice science teachers learn and develop instructional practices from preparation period to the second year of teaching
Job & responsibilities of the research assistant
The primary responsibility is assisting data collection and analyses. Two forms of data were collected in this project. One is the video of science instruction at the middle and high school science classrooms. The other is the interview with the participating teachers. RA will engage in assisting data collection via school visit, and analyzing qualitative data, such as: (a) transcribing a part of video or whole interviews, (b) coding the interview transcripts, (c) coding the teaching videos, (d) checking the inter-rater reliabilities, (e) writing a brief memo, etc.
1. Having the experiences of educational research, in particular, analyzing classroom-based data & developing writing skills
2. Learning about the contemporary vision of good science teaching advocated by science education community
3. Learning about the Next Generation Science Standards
4. Building relationships with PhD students and faculty in School of Education
5. Becoming a member of a research team
How to apply?
Send the following information to Dr. Kang (firstname.lastname@example.org)