Select four courses from the following list:
- EDUC 10
- EDUC 15
- EDUC 30
- EDUC 40
- EDUC 50
- EDUC 107
- EDUC 108
- EDUC 124
- EDUC 160
- EDUC 173
- EDUC 175
- EDUC 176
Minor Elective Courses (12 units)
Education courses numbered 1–199. A course selected to satisfy the minor core requirement cannot also be used to satisfy the elective requirement. A maximum of 4 elective units may be taken as research or independent study in EDUC 198.
Practicum Requirement (40 hours total)
A minimum of 40 hours of field experience or research in an education setting, satisfied via UCI approved courses that include a practicum, or through petition for approval of verifiable hours from courses that are not on the approved practicum course list or hours from educational fieldwork that is not linked to a UCI course.
The minor in Education is designed to facilitate exploration of a broad range of issues in the field of education. Graduates with the Education minor may be employed in schools, government, private industry, and non-profit organizations. Many graduates will pursue advanced training leading to teaching careers or administrative leadership.
Requirements for the Minor in Education
The minor requires completion of a minimum of seven courses (four core courses and three electives) totaling 28 units. At least four courses must be upper-division. Students must also complete a minimum of 40 hours of verifiable field experience or research in an educational setting. No more than two non-Education courses (up to 8 units) from the student’s major area of study may be used to satisfy the minor requirements. A maximum of 8 units may be used to satisfy minor requirements with any repeatable course.
|A. Select four core courses (16 units) from the following:|
|Educational Research Design 1|
|Statistics for Education Research|
|21st Century Literacies 1|
|Theories of Development and Learning Applied to Education 1|
|Origins, Purposes, and Central Issues in K-12 Education|
|Child Development in Education|
|Adolescent Development and Education|
|Multicultural Education in K-12 Schools|
|Foundations of Out-of-School Learning|
|Cognition and Learning in Educational Settings|
|Foundations of Education|
|Psychology of Learning, Abilities, and Intelligence|
|B. Select three elective courses (12 units) from the following:|
1. Education courses numbered 1–199. A course selected to satisfy the minor core requirement cannot also be used to satisfy the elective requirement. A maximum of 4 elective units may be taken as research or independent study in EDUC 198.
|C. Practicum. A minimum of 40 hours of field experience in an educational setting. Students may complete 40 hours of field experience from a list of approved practicum courses offered by the School of Education, which can include EDUC 198. Students may also petition to receive credit for practicum from other UCI courses.|
Course also satisfies university General Education requirements.
Residence Requirement. At least four upper-division courses must be successfully completed at UCI.
GPA Requirement. For certification in the minor, a student must obtain a minimum overall grade point average of at least C (2.0) in all courses required for the minor program. A maximum of 8 units of Pass/No Pass courses may be taken for the minor.
Minor and Major. Students may not receive both the minor in Education and the major in Education Sciences.
Undergraduate Programs for Future Teachers Offered by Other Departments. Undergraduates who are completing a minor in Education and who are considering a teaching career may also be interested in the following programs offered by other departments.
- The School of Physical Sciences, School of Biological Sciences, and School of Education jointly sponsor an undergraduate teacher credential program for math and science majors called CALTEACH. Learn more about CALTEACH here.
- School of Humanities: English Major with a Specialization in English for Future Teachers; History Major with a Specialization in History for Future Teachers; Spanish Major with an Emphasis in Spanish for Future Teachers
- School of Biological Sciences: Major in Biological Sciences with Concentration in Biological Sciences Education
- School of Physical Sciences: Chemistry Major with a Concentration in Chemistry Education; Math Major with a Specialization in Mathematics for Education; Physics Major with a Concentration in Physics Education.
If you have questions about completing your practicum requirement, please see our Field Experience page for more information.
Students who need to submit hours for verification may do so using the form linked below. For fieldwork questions, contact Zulakha Sheikh (email@example.com).
Have a question?
You may also send your question via email. Please allow 1 - 2 business days for a response.